Dozens Injured as Bomb Explodes at Hospital in Thailand

A Thai military personnel stands guard inside the Phramongkutklao Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, May 23, 2017. — Reuters pic

A Thai military personnel stands guard inside the Phramongkutklao Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, May 23, 2017. — Reuters picBANGKOK, May 24 — Thailand reassured the international community yesterday that it would increase security at sensitive locations a day after a bomb exploded at a hospital in the capital, Bangkok, wounding 24 people.

Thailand has been ruled by a junta since a May 2014 coup. The attack on Monday coincided with the third anniversary of the takeover and the army has blamed the incident on groups opposed to military rule.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack which happened at the military-owned Phramongkutklao Hospital.

“Bombs will have an impact anywhere,” Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai told reporters.

“Any action at a hospital violates human rights … I would like the foreigners to know that security forces are looking after this,” he said.

Junta spokesman Winthai Suvaree said security would be increased and any measures not working would have to be changed.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said an election expected next year was on track, but he raised the possibility that violence could lead to a delay.

“The election is still proceeding according to the roadmap. I haven’t changed anything,” Prayuth told reporters after a weekly cabinet meeting.

“I want everyone to think: if the country is still like this, with bombs, weapons, and conflicts among people … can we hold an election?”

One of the most popular holiday destinations in Southeast Asia, Thailand attracted 32.6 million visitors last year, a rise of nearly 9 per cent from the previous year.

Safety questions

But Thailand has been rocked by attacks, including a series of explosions last year at beach locations and a bomb at a Bangkok shrine popular with Asian tourists in 2015, which raised questions about safety.

The shrine blast killed 20 people, 14 of them foreigners, while the attacks on the beach towns killed four Thais and wounded dozens, including foreigners.

The beach attacks came a day after Thais voted overwhelmingly to accept a military-backed constitution that critics say will entrench military power.

The military seized power on May 22, 2014, to end months of protests aimed at overthrowing a government led by a populist movement that has won every election since 2001.

The coup was Thailand’s 12th military takeover since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932.

Muslim separatists fighting for years in the deep south of the predominantly Buddhist country have been responsible for many bombs, while angry supporters of ousted populist governments have also been involved in small bomb attacks.

Yesterday, a bomb in the southern province of Yala, where the Muslim rebels operate, killed two army rangers.

On May 15, a small bomb went off near Bangkok’s National Theatre, wounding two people. It was not clear who was behind it. An explosion outside a former government lottery office on April 5 wounded two.

Army chief General Chalermchai Sitthisat said on Monday he believed the two earlier blasts were linked to the hospital attack, adding that the material used to make the bombs was the same. — Reuters

– See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/world/article/thailand-reassures-foreigners-following-bangkok-hospital-attack#sthash.eSbE8mow.dpuf

Comments

  1. Linda Ballard shared a link.
    A.U. – It doesn’t matter to me, whether the Islamic Terrorist Attack actually occurred or it was staged. To me, same thing.

    Read below:
    Authorities knew about plans for the radical Islamic terror attack at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, UK that targeted young girls and teenagers, according to reports.

    British intelligence and law enforcement were aware of plans to kill as many people as possible at the O2 Arena in Manchester, but rather than apprehend the terrorist, they let him kill 19 people, and the death toll may yet rise.

    Britain’s open borders have provided the elite with the useful terrorists necessary to do their dirty work for them. British intelligence and law enforcement ‘allowed’ this attack to happen in order to justify cracking down on the innocent population even further, taking away more and more civil liberties, until we are living in a police state.

    The terrified public will allow this to happen. They will choose “safety” over liberty.

    The fact is, the ISIS death cult is funded and supported by the United States and its western allies. This is not a wild conspiracy theory. It is admitted by Democrat and Republican members of Congress in the United States.

    Just as ISIS cause death and destruction in Syria, Iraq and Libya on the US and European dime, they also cause chaos in large European cities. This is all part of the plan to destabilize Europe and take away civil liberties, privacy and the right to a decent life.

    The Manchester attack has eery similarities to the Paris attacks of November 2015. Paris and Manchester are both dominoes that fell, as orchestrated by the New World Order, as part of a masterplan that aims to destroy Europe as we know it.

    http://yournewswire.com/ariana-grande-false-flag/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

AlphaOmega Captcha Classica  –  Enter Security Code